Monday, July 6, 2009

AOH CHURCH OF GOD

Ac 28:1-62 And when they were escaped, then they knew that the island was called Melita. 2 And the barbarous people shewed us no little kindness: for they kindled a fire, and received us every one, because of the present rain, and because of the cold. 3 And when Paul had gathered a bundle of sticks, and laid them on the fire, there came a viper out of the heat, and fastened on his hand. 4 And when the barbarians saw the venomous beast hang on his hand, they said among themselves, No doubt this man is a murderer, whom, though he hath escaped the sea, yet vengeance suffereth not to live. 5 And he shook off the beast into the fire, and felt no harm. 6 Howbeit they looked when he should have swollen, or fallen down dead suddenly: but after they had looked a great while, and saw no harm come to him, they changed their minds, and said that he was a god.

It was raining and cold from the storm. They had escaped death, some swam, some on boards, some on broken pieces. They had been out to sea for a very long time. They had gone without food, in the dark, for two weeks. This had to be the most awful, traumatic experiences of a lifetime. However, because of Paul, they all survived. Although the centurions did not respect or regard the warning that Paul had given them before starting this voyage, they eventually had great respect for his advice. They realized was not just another common prisoner, but a great man of God. This was someone who had a true relationship with God. Because the first warning was that not only would this be a dangerous voyage, but cargo and lives would be lost. However, I believe, because of Paul's relationship with God and his divine assignment, God changed or intervened and changed the course of time.

Now we see that they have all escaped to land, it is cold and Paul gathers a bundle of wood for the fire, and is bitten by a poisonous snake. Paul doesn't holler or scream. Nor does he jump and run. He simply shakes it off and continue to make the fire. The people were whispering that this had to be a terrible criminal, because after all he had just been in a terrible storm at sea and barely escaped to land, only to be bitten by a poisonous snake. But nothing happened. After a while they changed their whispering from this must be a murderer to this has to be a god. Paul was neither a murderer or a god, but he was a man of God on a mission from God. This is so encouraging to me, because this let's me know that nothing can stop me as long as I am in relationship with God and on my mission from God. I am not afraid of the hurricane or tornado because I am the righteous of God. I am in blood covenant with God. When I pray I don't doubt in my heart, but I believe I have whatever I say. Just like Paul knew that he had to go to Rome because God spoke to him. I too have heard a word from the Lord, and I am determined to make it to my destination.

Learn More About The AOH Church of God